Help for EAD Archives

EAD Archives

EAD@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EAD Home

EAD  January 2010

EAD January 2010

Re: linking from finding aids [was: Adding EAD to the 'layer of discovery'?]

Stanislav Pejsa <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:07:43 -0500

Hi Marc,
the main reason is usability and consistency both within one Partner institution and across all five of them. A long list of links inhibits readability of the finding aid in general, and quick scanning of the finding aid, specifically. It will clearly indicate the purpose of the link and also disambiguate an external link from an internal one.

Such a linking text will anchor the link at a one predictable position. Not all finding aids are encoded on the same level of detail. Some are encoded just with container, unittitle and unitdate, others may contain language material, scope and content and/or restrictions.
Many of the converted finding aids contain in the unittitle information which would be more appropriately coded somewhere else (extent, physical description) and that causes the unittitle often spread to two lines and that's a usability issue as well.

http://www.loc.gov/ead/tglib/elements/daodesc.html

We also consulted the EAD listserv and several best practices guidelines, particularly OAC BPG and its section on linking from finding aids, see
http://www.cdlib.org/inside/diglib/guidelines/bpgead/bpgead_4d.html#d0e2470

However, I would be interested what others think about this. We are still debating these issues, so this would be a welcome help to us.

As for the digitization of the complete folder, I can't take any credit for it - that's fully within the competence of the Partner institutions - Leo Baeck Institute, in this case.

Best, Standa