ARSCLIST  March 2010

ARSCLIST March 2010

Re: The TAMI show (was Article on 8-track museum in TX)

Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:33:49 -0500

Steve Ramm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 >> I have the DVD and watched last night. It's great!

I have a grat headache from it.  The SCREAMING is much too much.  I
think they sweetened it to have nearly continuous screaming.  There is
one point in Its My Party  where the screaming stops for no reason.
There's a Rolling Stones number where Mick is shaking his maraccas and
with his singing and the screaming you can hear them -- and still hear
them when he walks ten or 15 feet away from the mike -- which is
impossible with the screaming on those lousy Shure SM57s.

 >> I remember seeing it in 1964 in theaters.

I swear I remember watching this at home -- live or on tape -- not kine.

David Breneman wrote:

> I saw the first half hour of this last week.  Ironically,
> it was going to play on our area's other PBS station a
> few nights ago, but it was preempted by another pledge
> drive.

I recorded it but am of course going to get the real disc -- it's less
than $15 at Amazon, $90 at PBS.  .  It is widescreen and Dish Network is
pushing our locals to fuu screen and immediately the opening credits
were clipped at the edges.  Same thing with a Pat Boone retrospective on
the station now.  It is STUPID to letterbox original 4x3 video in the
first place, so now we are losing ALL FOUR EDGES.  We're only 10 miles
from our PBS station but the digital signal is not coming in good, but
it looks like I now  need to get a better antenna for it.  I usually
watch PBS on the national feed but these begathon shows are local.

> In the 60s, some British company (might have been Pye?)
> was promoting a video-to-film system using 800-some lines.
> Was this show shot with that system?

The opening copyright was credited to Electronovision Productions and
there is a credit to RCA for electronic video recording.  An Amazon
reviewer says  "Electronovision" was at 1000 or 1100 lines.  That was
the system that Richard Burton's Hamlet was also shot in.

> It sure isn't 405/25!

Of course not.  This is the United States, not the U.K.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]