ARSCLIST  March 2010

ARSCLIST March 2010

Re: Wisconsin Labelography [sic]

George Brock-Nannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:23:32 +0100

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

I think that the designation of the index work must relate to the kind of
information that it tries to provide in a complete form. In a discography, it
is the recorded output of an artist (probably the most common type), a record
company/a record series (such as the acoustic records in Scandinavia of the
Gramophone Company, or British Columbia 10" Blue Label), a genre (such as
jazz, or the symphonies of Mozart, or folk music), an instrument (such as the
horn).

In printed versions, the primary output (main table) is very frequently
chronological, and the structure proposed by ARSC makes for uniformity. There
is no problem in providing images of typical labels or rubbings of "in the
wax" information, and even less, if it is a purely electronic work.

There will be various kinds of indexes to get at the information if you do
not happen to know all the dates where the precise and detailed information
is to be found in the main table.

In a labelography, I would expect another system of arrangement; in a general
labelography the logical thing would be by graphical element, and the primary
output would then be by label name, subdivided by label variant. And I mean
by that as many label, color, font, dimension variants as possible (except
fading in sunlight, which has cheated people before). Graphical elements
could be a gramophone with outside horn, gramophone with outside horn and
dog, gramophone with outside horn and attentively listening children. Other
elements could be a jockey on a racehorse (Edison Bell Winner and 1913
Favorite). Still other elements could be the standard font used by label
printers for many separate labels. Indexes would be record companies
alphabetically, chronologically, colour, etc. We presently have no such work
available.

However, we have the indispensable work by Sutton & Nauck: "American Record
Labels and Companies. An Encyclopedia (1891-1943)". They seem to be able to
do without the designation "labelography", and it is not as such "general"
according to my definition above, only one of the outputs gives labels. The
focus is on record companies.

There is also an equally indispensable (if you really want to know your
artefacts) book by Adam Miller of New Zealand: "Stamps on Music. The World-
wide Catalogue & Handbook of Stamps issued under Copyright Acts". It is so
rare that it is not even listed in Nauck's resource catalogue.

On the website Doug Henkle lists a number of works under the heading "label
bibliography", and those works are certainly not "general labelographies",
such as that I defined above.

The subject as defined by Doug is very narrow; I suspect that the records are
so rare that finding variants is just not relevant. I think that he is
perfectly entitled to use the term "labelography".

Kind regards,

George