ARSCLIST April 2010

Re: The trials of trying to give away a record collection

"Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:53:57 -0400

From: "Karl Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
> From: Steven C. Barr [log in to unmask]
> As I already commented, university-level music departments almost all view
> "pop music"
> as beneath them?! Would it have been more likely to have been kept if it
> were an equally
> large collection of CLASSICAL LP's?! One wonders...?!
>
> I believe that depends on the music department. From my perspective, the
> Music Department here at the University of Texas at Austin is rapidly
> becoming Rock and Roll U. There is a substantive portion of the class
> offerings which are devoted to popular music and jazz. At my alma mater,
> The University of North Texas, there is a seminar on Zappa. I have been
> told that at some small school here in Texas, there is a faculty member
> who has the title, "Professor of Country and Western."
>
> As to why this transformation? The current chairman of the Music
> Department here at UT has said, "that's where the students are."

That is also where about 99% (+/-) of the population is...!? Sadly(?), in
this day and age
"classical music" consists of the same standard/often-recorded works being
re-played
and re-recorded...?! I assume there MAY exist more "current" classical
composers;
however, those who buy classical recordings seem (AFAIK?) to only want the
same
familiar works...?! Note that this MAY(?!) force music departments to accept
popular
music...as an alternative to repetitive listening/teaching of those "good
old" works
in their most recent version...?! There is very little that can be said
about, for example,
Beethoven's works, which has not already been said...?!

At least popular music is an often-changing (not always for the better...?!)
entity?!
Note also that "popular culture," like it or not, is an important part of
the history
of human existence...?!

Steven C. Barr