ARSCLIST  April 2010

ARSCLIST April 2010

Re: The trials of trying to give away a record collection

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:33:16 -0400

Hi John:

I think your points are a strictly modern viewpoint. As long as humanity keeps moving in a direction
that produces extra wealth and extra time for at least some of us, then indeed efforts in "history"
preservation will be a place to dedicate finite resources and to discuss and debate as in this
forum. I definitely disagree with you about preserving a recording of some ancient Greek concert vs.
preserving data about the technological breakthroughs that led to their buildings and
infrastructure. The very fact that we are having this conversation, via the Internet, today, is
because mankind has respected technological advancement and preserved and built upon it for
generations now. During that time, which is almost a continual march forward in discovery and
technology since hand-tools were first fashioned and fire was harnessed, there have been ebbs and
flows in different places and cultures regarding the value placed on "arts" such as music. And the
idea of recording and performing music is less than 2 centuries along here, so this is very new to
the human condition.

As long as technology keeps advancing to the benefit of (most) humans, then there will be resources
available to preserve "luxuries" such as recorded music. But I would argue, if things start
de-volving (and some would argue this has already started), then these "luxuries" will be among the
first things tossed aside as survival takes precedence over joy and self-expression. Would that make
us less human? Not sure about that since until very recently in history, most humans had little time
for any joy and self-expression in the daily struggle to make it to another sunrise.

Finally, since even under the most ideal circumstances there are finite resources for the sorts of
activities we discuss on the ARSC List, this is the absolute correct forum for this sort of
discussion and for my people of my "sentiment." I'm just trying to look at things as they are, not
how I wish they would be.

-- Tom Fine