Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

ZNG Home

ZNG  April 2010

ZNG April 2010

Re: Add "reliability" index to CQL's "zeerex" context set

Mike Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

SRU (Search and Retrieve Via URL) Implementors

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:35:16 +0100

text/plain

On 15 April 2010 13:22, Edward C. Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The question is less that one might want to relate something but the semantics
> of what one is relating unless its purely private--- and then its not trying
> to relate to anyone but only itself.
>
> What does a number mean and what do the differences in the numbers mean? And
> unless my numbers and your numbers have nothing to do with one another nor the
> numbers of anyone else they need to have some shared models and references.
>
> Defining these would, I think, be more difficult (and long winded) than
> creating a common service monitoring network and metrics (which would evolve
> over time in response to shared experiences).

No-one is going to do that. Let's stop fooling ourselves.

A simple number from 0-100 -- that we can probably handle. Ask for
more, and who has the time to do that work unfunded (or the time to
apply for funding?) If there is one lesson we should have learned
from the NUMEROUS attempts at Explain over the years, it's that it is
very, very vulnerable to over-engineering. Aim too high -- even a
little too high -- and we hit nothing at all.