ZNG Archives

ZNG@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

ZNG Home

ZNG  April 2010

ZNG April 2010

Uptime // was: Add "reliability" index to CQL's "zeerex" context set

SRU (Search and Retrieve Via URL) Implementors

Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:01:20 +0200

There are several uptimes to consider: server (hardware), network and service.

Service uptime is a protocol based check: a process connects to the server and
port and interacts with the service and checks the response.

This check can be from the machine itself, within a network or from a
heterogeneous network of remote monitoring stations (this pragmatically fuses
server, network and service uptime together). Also.. not the just search
protocol needs to be monitored but also the DNS.. etc. etc. etc..

I strongly doubt that most sites have global site monitoring or are in a
position to implement such. There are good number of companies offering Web
monitoring services but the statistics they produce are not completely
comparable and we're not really Web and I don't think we have a market.. and
we'd need to talk about what a "good" response is (within a time window or..?)..

And even those that have global monitoring in place.. I'm not too sure that
they would be keen to publish the data as it can be quite company sensitive.
ISPs publish data but only when its part of the sales blurb or part of the
service agreements.....

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:18:27 +0000, Peter Noerr wrote

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
http://www.nonmonotonic.net