ARSCLIST  May 2010

ARSCLIST May 2010

Re: Anyone arriving in NOLA on Tues 5/18 around noon?

Arthur Gaer <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 9 May 2010 14:16:14 -0400

Like far too many other US airports, the public transit system at the New Orleans airport isn't really designed for taking tourists directly to their hotels (if it were there'd be direct express service without stops to the French Quarter, CBD) instead it's local service mostly intended to take airport workers back and forth to their jobs.  Unless you're familiar with New Orleans and the transit system I wouldn't really recommend taking this local bus for what is not really a short trip.

If you want to save a few bucks over a taxi (at the cost of taking a little more time than a cab but a lot less time and confusion than taking a city bus) take the Airport Shuttle for $20.

Or you can take a cab for a flat rate of $33--which for two people plus tip becomes a wash with the cost of the shuttle.

Note two items on the taxis: 1) as I was surprised to learn two weeks ago *more* than two people in the cab is an additional $14 per person from the airport and 2) the cab drivers might try to scam you by, say, running the meter even though it clearly states in postings in the cab that it's a flat $33 to/from the airport. (My cabbie didn't say anything at all about the cost, he just ran the meter.  I said, after I got out, "It's a flat $33 to the airport, right?"  He said yes, and I gave him the same $40 w/tip I was intending to, ignoring the convenient $41.50 on the meter).

Arthur Gaer