ARSCLIST  May 2010

ARSCLIST May 2010

New Orleans ARSC Conference - Some levity...

Rob Poretti <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 29 May 2010 11:59:35 -0400

Hi folks,

I know this is completely off topic, but after describing some of the
pre-conference workshop stories to a family member, I received quite a
humorous story post-Katrina New Orleans story.  For those not at that
workshop, it's focus was disaster management for audio archives - with a
focus on the Katrina disaster and effects on the New Orleans archives.  This
story is not about archives per-se, but after hearing some of the
unbelievable bureaucratic disasters relating to Katrina, I thought I'd share
this with the list...

Part of rebuilding New Orleans caused residents often to be challenged with
the task of tracing home titles back potentially hundreds of years.   With a
community rich with history stretching back over two centuries, houses have
been passed along through generations of family, sometimes making it quite
difficult to establish ownership.

A New Orleans lawyer sought an FHA loan for a client. He was told the loan
would be granted if he could prove satisfactory title to a parcel of
property being offered as collateral. The title to the property dated back
to 1803, which took the lawyer three months to track down. After sending the
information to the FHA, he received the following reply:

(Actual reply from FHA):
"Upon review of your letter adjoining your client's loan application, we
note that the request is supported by an Abstract of Title. While we
compliment the able manner in which you have prepared and presented the
application, we must point out that you have only cleared title to the
proposed collateral property back to 1803. Before final approval can be
accorded, it will be necessary to clear the title back to its origin."

Annoyed, the lawyer responded as follows:
(Actual response):

"Your letter regarding title in Case No.189156 has been received. I note
that you wish to have title extended further than the 206 years covered by
the present application. I was unaware that any educated person in this
country, particularly those working in the property area, would not know
that Louisiana was purchased by the United States from France in 1803,  the
year of origin identified in our application.  For the edification of
uninformed FHA bureaucrats, the title to the land prior to U.S. ownership
was obtained from France, which had acquired it by Right of Conquest from
Spain.

The land came into the possession of Spain by Right of Discovery made in the
year 1492 by a sea captain named Christopher Columbus, who had been granted
the privilege of seeking a new route to India by the Spanish monarch, Queen
Isabella. The good Queen Isabella, being a pious woman and almost as careful
about titles as the FHA, took the precaution of securing the blessing of the
Pope before she sold her jewels to finance Columbus's expedition.

Now the Pope, as I'm sure you may know, is the emissary of Jesus Christ, the
Son of God, and God, it is commonly accepted, created this world. Therefore,
I believe it is safe to presume that God also made that part of the world
called Louisiana. God, therefore, would be the owner of origin and His
origins date back to before the beginning of time, the world as we know it,
and the FHA. I hope you find God's original claim to be satisfactory. Now,
may we have our damn loan?"

The loan was immediately approved.

_/
Rob Poretti
Sales Engineer - Archiving
Cube-Tec North America LLC
Vox.905.827.0741  Fax.905.901.9996  Cel.905.510.6785
_/