ARSCLIST  May 2010

ARSCLIST May 2010

Re: Cassette brands and known issues

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 May 2010 21:47:34 -0400

Hi, Mark,

I would be more than happy to host the compiled version of this on my
tape restoration blog at www.richardhess.com/notes/ and credit you as
the author along with input from members of the ARSC list.

I am including below, some of my comments on brands...the other
comments you have received about pressure pad lifters and foam
pressure pads are spot on. Maybe Mike Casey can also use this "crowd
sourced" information in FACET if he's planning on updating it. I've
snipped the explanatory text and have inserted my comments below.

At 11:42 PM 2010-05-04, Mark Campbell wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am seeking advice on cassette manufacture brands/batches with playback
>issues.
>
>Major Manufacturers - Analog Cassettes
>Agfa

It is my understanding that duplicator Agfa tape (i.e. sold on
pancakes to people who then loaded it into cassettes) is at least one
of the sources of squealing cassettes that are very difficult to
control. Cold playback and/or D5 lubrication are needed for some of
these squealers. We'll never know for sure, however, as these would
all be unbranded as to raw tape stock.

>Ampex

Despite the overwhelming need to bake Ampex's reel to reel product,
my limited experience with their cassettes did not indicate extensive
hydrolysis as in their reel tapes. The thinner coating may help explain that.

>BASF

Generally very good, but one mis-treated tape is discussed here:
http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03/31/project-notes-advanced-oxide-delamination-of-a-cassette/
This type of damage appears to be limited to possibly abused (note
the stain on the label) FerroChrome cassettes which are the infamous Type 3

>Denon
>Fuji

Have only had a few, but seem to be holding up well.

>Maxell

I have had tons of these and while some exhibit high-frequency loss,
as many cassettes do, otherwise these are lasting very well. This is
mostly type UD, UDXL, UDXLII, and MX

>Orwo
>Philips
>Quantegy

I think the same comments as Ampex apply. This is the name when Ampex
spun off their tape division and soon thereafter, 3M sold off their
tape division.

>Scotch

I found their early 70s cassettes to be of relatively poor quality,
and some of their dictation grade cassettes suffer from the squeals,
but my understanding is those were 3rd-party manufactured.

>Sony

I have not run into any problems with Sony cassettes, but late-60s,
early 70s PR-150 is horrid stuff--squeals.

>TDK

I have not run into any problems with TDK

>Now, at the risk of offending some manufacturers (if they still exist)
>the second premis is that "off-brand" cassettes will be more difficult
>to playback due to myriad reasons.
>
>Off Brand list.
>AC
>AIWA
>Akai
>ALME
>Arista
>ATNT
>Audio Magnetics
>Corporation
>Audiomaster
>Audiopak
>Audiovox
>Audition
>Baba
>Bell & Howell
>Bestron
>Boots Audio
>Capitol
>Capitol 1 (Same as Capitol?)

Believe so.

>Century
>Century Sound (Same as Century?)
>Certron
>Combo
>Concertape (Radio Shack)

I have had problems with reel-to-reel tapes of this brand, but much
of this is re-badged Ampex, so the same comments apply.

>Contek
>Crystal
>Dak Enterprises
>Denon
>Dindy Super
>EDU-Cassette (BASF)
>Emitape
>Fujisan
>GE
>General
>Gold
>Golden
>Goldstar
>Hi-Fi
>Hitachi
>IMA
>IMT
>International Recotape Corporation (IRC)
>Jaf

I have also seen a JIL in a Maxell-graphics-looking box that was
Jutan International or something like that. It was sold in Canada in
the early 1980s and was NO Maxell.

>JVC
>KDK
>Lafayette

The few of these I have transferred seemed to be OK. Lafayette was a
major NY City area distributor into the 1970s and perhaps the 1980s
but eventually became more like Radio Shack and then disappeared.

>Lebotone
>Loewe
>Lucky
>Magnet
>Mallory
>Mark
>Maxwell (NOT Maxell)
>Mei-Ya
>Melodie 2000
>Melody

This is a 3M low-end brand (rejects?) that I've had problems with on
reel to reels.

>Meltrack
>Metro
>MS 600
>Music 2000
>National Panasonic
>Nivico
>Norelco

This is Philips the people who invented the format and under the
Norelco and Philips brands are probably good tapes.

>Nulec
>Okhai
>Passport ((Manufactured by 3M)
>Pfatone
>Pilipe (NOT Philips)
>Pioneer
>Planet
>POP
>Prinzsound
>Profi Sound

>Radio Shack
>Realistic

These two are the same source, just different brands. Same comments
as Concertape.

>Rezound
>Ross
>Sanyo
>Seiko
>Sentry
>Shanghai
>Sharp
>SKC
>Smat
>Sonotech
>Soundcraft

Soundcraft was a major and good manufacturer from the early days. I
don't know for sure about their cassettes, but their early acetate
reels have held up very well.

>Superscope

As the U.S. importer of Sony, these are probably Sony tapes.

>Superphonic  (Zayre Corporation)
>Super-sound von Focitron
>Supertape

This was another Radio Shack brand as I recall...same caveats.

>TapeMaster
>TEAC

TEAC made recorders and may have made tape, but it is probably
rebranded. In general, I think it would be trusworth.

>TEAM
>Tips
>Tony
>Toshiba
>T-Series
>TSIC
>Union 3000
>Unitape
>Universal
>Webcor

I did not flag all the equipment-manufacturer tapes, but, in general,
I think they were pretty good re-labels. Things like Hitachi,
Goldstar, etc. all come to mind.

I looked at the "dreaded when I get around to it" box of squealing
tapes and found the following brands:
No name - 6
Supertape Gold 60 - 2
Maxell shells that appear to be donor shells - 2, therefore: really NO NAME.
This is from a collection of about 500 cassettes stored in an air
conditioned home in Key West Florida, USA, or perhaps 2% of the collection.

Cheers,

Richard