ARSCLIST  May 2010

ARSCLIST May 2010

Re: Suggestions for NOLA - music

Steve Ramm <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 May 2010 23:56:03 EDT

OKay. I dediced to go the extra step. Here is Jeff's full MUSIC post on
78-L.  THis should easioly satisfy Sam and the others:

Will post food in a min.

Steve

For those who are going to the ARSC conference, here are some
recommendations for things to do in New Orleans. I just got back from
my  eighth New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, and I'm pretty
familiar with  the city.

Louisiana Music Factory at 210 Decatur Street in the French  Quarter
is the place to buy Louisiana-oriented music. The staff is friendly
and knowledgeable, and they have a wide selection of different types
of  music (jazz, cajun and zydeco, brass band, New Orleans piano. . .)
There is  a bookcase full of 78s upstairs, but I'll warn you that I
picked them over  last week. LMF also features in-store performances
by local musicians -  these are usually during the day, however, so it
probably conflicts with the  conference.

The Hogan Jazz Archive at Tulane University is run by Bruce  Raeburn,
son of the bandleader Boyd Raeburn. Bruce is a great guy - very
knowledgeable, and he likes to chat. You can get to Tulane on the St.
Charles streetcar, which costs only $1.25 per ride. The archive is on
the 3rd floor of Jones Hall. You should probably call first to make
sure  Bruce is there if you want to talk to him - the archive's number
is  504-865-5688.

The George H. Buck, Jr. Jazz Foundation is located at 61  French
Market Pl., on the other side of the block from the Palm Court Jazz
Cafe (which is run by George's wife Nina). The Foundation manages
several labels, including Jazzology, American Music and  G.H.B.

OffBeat is a free paper that covers the music scene in New  Orleans.
You can get it at Louisiana Music Factory. The paper's web site,
_http://www.offbeat.com/_ (http://www.offbeat.com/) , has comprehensive
listings of  who is playing
where. Here are some concerts that look good to me around the  time of
the conference (your tastes may differ):

May  18:

Rebirth Brass Band
Maple Leaf Bar
8316 Oak St.
10:00  PM

New Orleans Cottonmouth Kings
d.b.a.
618 Frenchmen St.
9:00  PM

May 19:

Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz  Orchestra
Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal  Sonesta Hotel
8:00 PM

Irma Thomas, Paul Sanchez, Glen David Andrews  and Margie Perez
Lafayette Square
500 St. Charles Ave.
5:00  PM

The Loose Marbles
Spotted Cat
623 Frenchmen St.
6:00  PM

May 20:

Washboard Chaz Blues Trio
Spotted Cat
623  Frenchmen St.
6:30 PM

May 21:

Banu Gibson & Trio
Bombay  Club
830 Conti St.
9:30 PM

Professor Piano Series
Irvin  Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta  Hotel
5:00 PM

Leon "Kid Chocolate" Brown
Irvin Mayfield's Jazz  Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta Hotel
8:00  PM

Preservation Hall Jazz Masters featuring Leroy Jones
Preservation  Hall
726 Peter St.
8:00 PM

Tipitina Uptown
Tab Benoit,  Beausoleil
501 Napoleon Ave.
10:00 PM

May 22:

Washboard Chaz  Blues Trio
Blue Nile
532 Frenchmen St.
7:00 PM

Brass Band  Jam
Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal  Sonesta Hotel
12:00 PM

Tom McDermott
Donna's Bar and Grill
800  N. Rampart St.
9:30 PM

May 23:

Mason's VIP Revisited feat.  Germaine Bazzle, June Gardner and David
Torkanowsky
Irvin Mayfield's Jazz  Playhouse
300 Bourbon Street in the Royal Sonesta Hotel
7:00 PM

The  Loose Marbles
Spotted Cat
623 Frenchmen St.
6:00 PM

That's  enough for now. I'll post some restaurant recommendations soon.

-  Jeff Lichtman