EAD Archives

EAD@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EAD Home

EAD  June 2010

EAD June 2010

Re: Google Analytics

Jennie Anne Levine Knies <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Jun 2010 06:52:36 -0400

Joyce,
I think your suggestions are very helpful, as have been other comments on this topic.  Thank you - something as seemingly simple as putting a brief explanation of a finding aid at the top of the page may have huge benefit.  Yes, I understand that when it says that 58% of our users come from Google, it means that 58% of our users are coming from a Google search!  However, you interpreted my comment correctly in that I was wondering "What does that tell me about how users are accessing our finding aids and what can I do to make them more usable for that large audience?"

Another interesting tidbit - in the last month almost the same number of people came to us from our online catalog as did from Wikipedia...  and it wasn't many in either case. That said, taking three minutes to look into this explained to me why one of our more "obscure" collections keeps getting hit - it's because of the wikipedia link that someone (not me) entered.

I would really love to have the time to think about this more.  But am grateful to the thoughts already presented in this thread, and am hoping that, combined with Chris's article, can get me motivated to focus on it more...

Jennie
~*~
Jennie Levine Knies
Manager, Digital Collections