ARSCLIST August 2010

Re: Ph.D. needs educating (copyright)

Peter Charuza <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:55:06 -0400

 Thats exactly the thing Karl, There's a huge conflict of interest.
Extending it is exactly what they plan to do, I wonder if its for the Bing
Crosby's and the hits of the ages that they can still make money on. While
unfortunately all these gems that are tossed in the back seat are scooped up
for the ride. I suppose each song and composer is its own decision. While I
wouldn't like to be too often in the position Dan Nelson is in, but i
support your cause.
 I'm not sure how legal the off the market 5/10 years= P.D. argument is, i
recall hearing something similar a long time ago.

  We need reform, but with a huge towering structure of millions and
millions of dollars at stake, it maybe slow going moving the legal
foundations.

  I like the water analogy Karl, and I certainly agree with you about buying
the recording with notes and all is normally such a minimal fee. It just
makes sense. So much stuff can be had second hand as well making it easier
than ever. I bought a few months ago at a garage sale a large tin bin full
of demo's and test pressings. Some one's friend of a friend worked at a
recording studio and the received stacks of promos. While most of it isn't
the best stuff in the world its a lot of fun to sort through and explore
genre's. I think things like that will help restore faith in the physical
medium. I know i switched to vynil heavily since it allowed me to explore
musical varieties and discographies of bands that I may not like or only
knew little about, since it was so cheap to buy, .50cents, $1, etc.

 Copyright is such a hot topic i really dislike even venturing in there, at
least for me, I work in film and I dread making a mistake in using older
unknown or older 'known' music. I try to stick to the safe boundaries of
original material or waaay 100% P.D. material.
 I am becoming more interested in what it takes to secure rights properly to
for example something like an older early 50's country or rockabilly tunes.
I've already started getting in touch with a family about an older
rockabilly tune, in luck i found the daughter replying to video's on
youtube. Here's where we get to the hand that feeds scenario. Streaming
sites like youtube allow access to so much more music, and potentially
offers doorways to communication with living relatives to access rights etc.
To throw it out completely would be a shame. How do you incorporate all
these with reworked copyright law? It'll be great to see a working system,
even if it has to get written out on this forum and mailed to every
congressman in the country. The current set up is bunk.

Pete