EAD August 2010

Re: oxygen/xmetal question

Joyce Chapman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:20:49 -0400

Something that might be useful to anyone trying to learn their way
around Oxygen for finding aids, a couple years ago I wrote a set of
instructions for the Minnesota Historical Society staff and they are
listed on the EAD Tools and Helper Files pages as a download of a Word
document (so you can edit it for your own purposes).
http://www.archivists.org/saagroups/ead/tools.html . They are meant
for beginners but there some useful tips in there and a lot of screen
shots. The sections covered are :

* Handy keyboard shortcuts
* The absolute necessities
* How to set up Author View
* How to use Compare Files
* How to use a template
* How to set up validation
* How to set up View in Browser
* Using find/replace
* Overview of some of the important side panels

I will cut and paste the keyboard shortcuts I list in that document
below. They are super handy!

Format and indent the document: ctrl shift P (also known as Pretty Print:-)

Toggle line wrap: ctrl shift Y

Increase the font size/decrease the font size: ctrl + / ctrl -

Switch between open tabs (most recent ones to the not recent ones) Ctrl + Tab
Switch between tabs in the reverse order Ctrl + Shift + Tab
Find → Find next F3 (performs another search in forward direction
using the last search configuration.)
Find → Find previous Shift+F3 (performs another search in backward
direction usingthe last search configuration).
Quick find toolbar: ctrl alt F (brings up a constant bar at the bottom
of the screen instead of floating box)

Bookmark your spot: click just to the left of the line number and a
blue box with a number will appear. You can create 10. To go to
bookmark #1 from anywhere in the document press: ctrl 1 (for bookmark
2: ctrl 2 etc). To delete the bookmark: click on the blue box with the
number. To delete all bookmarks at once: ctrl F7.

Configure transformation scenario: ctrl shift C

Apply transformation scenario: ctrl shift T

Delete element tags: ctrl alt X (you must first select text)
	Ex. <p>Highlight this text to delete paragraph tags.</p> press ctrl alt X. →
		 Highlight this text to delete paragraph tags.

Rename element: alt shift R (first click within an element tag)
Ex. <p>Click in my tag to change me to an item</p> press ctrl shift R,
enter new tag in pop-up box → <item>Click in my tag to change me to an
item</item>

Split element: ctrl alt D (first click on place to split inside element’s text)
	Ex. <item>Make mextwo items</item> click at yellow, press ctrl alt D →

Join elements: ctrl alt J (you must first select text)

Go after next tag: ctrl CLOSE_BRACKET

Go after previous tag: ctrl OPEN_BRACKET

Go to matching tag (opening or closing tag of the same element): ctrl shift G

Learn structure: ctrl shift L

Safe structure: ctrl shift S

Open DTD for this document: ctrl shift ENTER

Next error: ctrl PERIOD

Previous error: ctrl COMMA

Go to line: ctrl L (brings up box to type the line number in)

Expand all: ctrl alt P

Toggle comments: ctrl shift COMMA