Help for PIG Archives

PIG Archives

PIG@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PIG Home

PIG  September 2010

PIG September 2010

Re: Newly nominated terms for Preservation Event (Event Type) controlled vocabulary

"Guenther, Rebecca" <[log in to unmask]>

PREMIS Implementors Group Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:15:21 -0400

The change process was established for the PREMIS Data Dictionary and schema. We hadn't considered that it would apply to controlled vocabulary values, since we purposely only called them "suggested values" in the data dictionary. So I suppose we don't really have a formal review process for values. I wonder if institutions will need to implement different sets of values and that it may be hard for the community to agree on them. It would be good to collect them in one place so that they could be reused by institutions attempting to come up with controlled lists. In this case we could define the additional values in id.loc.gov, identifying them by their source. However, we may want to have a process to "anoint" certain terms that are generally useful to the PREMIS list. So this is something that the PREMIS editorial committee will want to discuss-- feedback from implementers would be welcome.

Rebecca