ID@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

ID Home

ID  October 2010

ID October 2010

Re: Names in ID

Ross Singer <[log in to unmask]>

Authorities and Vocabularies Service Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:02:03 -0400

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Tillett, Barbara <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm afraid Sally has jumped the gun about saying we would post Names through id.loc.gov, as those discussions have impact on our publishing side of the house and no decision is yet made about whether we'd use id.loc.gov or not.  There are several other routes we offer for that data.
>
> LCNAF (Names) is not a thesaurus, so not especially SKOS-compatible.  Our Name authority data is available freely on the Web through VIAF (see viaf.org) as MARC 21, UNIMARC, RDF XML - and now includes both personal and corporate names and soon will add the uniform titles from over 18 contributing institutions worldwide.  - Barbara Tillett

That being said, VIAF renders them as SKOS (as well as FOAF:Agents -
although, upon inspection, not very accurately -- corp names are all
FOAF:Persons) - btw it's nice to see the corporate names in there now.

I don't see any licenses anywhere on this VIAF data, does anybody know
what it is?

The nice thing about making these available at id.loc.gov is that the
data is clearly defined as public domain (per
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/about.html#aboutTOS) which provides a
little more confidence for actually using the data.

Thanks,
-Ross.