ID@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ID Home

ID  October 2010

ID October 2010

Re: Names in ID

Ed Summers <[log in to unmask]>

Authorities and Vocabularies Service Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:26:23 -0400

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Tillett, Barbara <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> LCNAF (Names) is not a thesaurus, so not especially SKOS-compatible.  Our Name authority data is available freely on
> the Web through VIAF (see viaf.org) as MARC 21, UNIMARC, RDF XML - and now includes both personal and corporate
> names and soon will add the uniform titles from over 18 contributing institutions worldwide

There is nothing that technically prevents non-SKOS data from being
delivered at id.loc.gov. But I guess there are political
considerations?

I understand that individual records are available from VIAF, and that
there is a search API. But the records are not meaningfully usable to
people who want to use the data in their own applications, since bulk
access and synchronization mechanisms are not available.

I agree with Ross that licensing information is absolutely crucial to
data use. It would be a major step forward if VIAF could do this. But
perhaps it's easier for LC to assert the public domain license as it
has done w/ LCSH at id.loc.gov?

I think it's important to recognize that VIAF participation hasn't
stopped the national libraries of Sweden, Germany and Hungary from
also publishing their name authorities as Linked Data. Martin Malmsten
and I spent quite a bit of time talking about linked data
synchronization issues this weekend at the DCMI and W3C Library Linked
Data meetings.

We definitely need data hubs like VIAF...but we need the spokes too.

//Ed