ARSCLIST  November 2010

ARSCLIST November 2010

Re: Listening Tests

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:12:44 -0500

Are you sure that the data stream was buffered in early players? I remember a 1-second buffer being
a big deal in the early portable players and early car players going to great lengths to create
mechanical isolation until bigger digital buffers became common. I remember a 4-second buffer on a
"Discman" player being a big point of marketing, circa mid-90's.

So, if Jerry's story was from early in the CD era, did a typical home player buffer enough to
overcome the problem described in the glass master cutter?

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Hartov" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Listening Tests

Hi Folks

Sometimes I have to express serious doubts about what I read.  From the given URL I read the
following:

"Many years ago, an irate musician contacted his CD-DA replicator claiming that his latest release
was of poor quality. Extensive electrical, mechanical, and listening tests by the replicator failed
to disclose any flaws while the musician became angrier. The persistent replicator finally
identified a defective glass mastering turntable in which one coil of its brushless DC motor had
failed, causing an imperceptable once- around speed variation. After repair, the musician declared
his satisfaction in the resulting high CD-DA quality."

Is anyone suggesting that fluctuation in the rotating of the disc itself can have ANY effect on
playback?  Do I misunderstand something?  Since the data stream is buffered the speed with which it
is read from the disc cannot possibly have any effect on the playback speed which is controlled by
the DAC clock.  So what is the above quote intended to convey?

Alex Hartov