DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  November 2010

DATETIME November 2010

Re: Extended Date/Time Format DRAFT specification for review through December 6

Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:20:25 -0500

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Edward C. Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:10:22 -0800, Per Bothner wrote
>
>> > Maybe we could imagine alternately something like "2000-41+au", where
>> > the "+au" bit is an optional locale?
>
> And when no locale is specified?

I've been very explicit about the use case here: periodicals.
Question: how do you know what "winter" means for an issue if you see
it on your news stand? Answer: you can look at where it's published.

The same would be true with machine processing as well, I imagine.

>> For the given use case of a periodical that has a "Summer, 2000"
>> issue the precise definition really doesn't matter - almost
>> certainly the publisher does not have a precise definition in mind.
>
> They generally do have a model.

But I imagine it's standards of precision vary.

>> What might matter is whether the "Winter, 2000" issue is the *last*
>> issue of 2000 (i.e. following after "Autumn, 2000") or the *first* issue
>> of 2000 (in turn followed by "Spring, 2000").  The latter seems to be
>> more common - I can't recall an example of the former.
>
> In Germany, for instance, Winter 2011 is typically the last issue of 2010---
> thus typically also Winter 2010/2011--- and the first of 2011. The first
> "true" issue of a quarterly published in a given year is, in general, the
> Spring edition. Other magazines that are published twice or 3 times a year
> tend to have a Autumn/Winter edition that spans over to the next year. I know
> of no German magazine that regularly publishes a Winter edition at the start
> of the year--- except due to delay and then the edition typically becomes a
> Winter/Spring combination edition. If we talk about editorial closure it can
> be all over the map. Publication date?
> And now if we start of think of seasonal fashion.. It can get even wilder! The
> women's fashion year is typically kicked off with New York Fall/Winter Fashion
> Week (followed by London, Milan and Paris) in Feb showing productions for the
> following "fashion" year but typically delivered in Autumn. The Spring/Summer
> Show is in September and its showing goods for delivery the next calendar
> year. The Rio Spring/Summer Fashion week is, interestingly, in June at the
> start of their winter--- its targeting, however, also Northern America and
> Europe.
>
>> This of course applies to the Northern hemisphere.  In the Southern
>> hemisphere the ambiguity would presumably apply to "Summer, 2000".
>
> Not always..

OK, so what's your solution to the use case?

Bruce