DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  November 2010

DATETIME November 2010

Re: Extended Date/Time Format DRAFT specification for review through December 6

Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:01:54 +0100

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:34:23 -0500, Bruce D'Arcus wrote

> So I need a way to describe the cover date for a periodical issue in
> ways facilitate two things:
>
> 1. sorting a bibliography reliably by date (vis-avis other entries
> that may have a month date)
> 2. printing the date in proper, localized, form (e.g. "Summer" would
> render as "Verano" in Spanish)

Translating "Summer" is the least of ones problems...

Sorting: Sort by issue name is a different model than sort by date of
publication. One should not confuse them with one another: a Winter 2011 issue
might be published anywhere between Autumn 2010 and Winter 2011.

The only possible sort really is something like Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
using the year--- or any "arbitrary" fixed order which would be set in the
sort definition.

Winter 2011 would be sorted after Autumn 2011 even if the Winter 2011 issue
was really published before the Spring 2011 issue.

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
Office Leo (R&D):