DATETIME  November 2010

DATETIME November 2010

Re: Types of uncertainty

Thu, 25 Nov 2010 19:40:03 +0100

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:02:21 +0100, Jakob Voss wrote

> There could be:
>
> 3. A combination (set) of values. This could be different from a
> range, for instance if {2000-12,2000} is the set of the month

This, I think, highlights a problem in our syntax. The '-' above is not to
define a range but an optional sep. used in dates. The '.' is used as a value
separator.

> December 2000 and the year 2000, which is not the same as the year 2000.

Correct. They have different units of precision: 2000-12 is month precision
while 2000 is year precision.

Pragmatically, however, the expression is redundant. Any date in 2000 can find
a match since the basis for comparison is always the least fine of the two
precisions.

A better example would be: {1999-12,2000}
says.. Either in Dec of 1999 or in the year 2000.

> 4. An approximate value. Approximation is a flag that marks a value
> independent from other properties. The concept is based on fuzzy set
> theory. For instance the approximate year 2000~ is not equal to any

No, its not based on "fuzzy set theory". We have no degree predicates. There
are no quantitative grades of membership. No probability reasoning.. We have just
1) Matches identically (equivalent)
2) Matches very close in resemblance (approximately)

and the observation that what matches by equivalence also matches approximately.

What does "approximate" mean? Its a personal.. or in our case "sever knows
best" function: its whatever one wants it to be. It could be linear,
proportional.. it could be anything..

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
Office Leo (R&D):