DATETIME  November 2010

DATETIME November 2010

Re: season

Thu, 18 Nov 2010 23:03:38 +0100

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 15:30:11 -0500, Denenberg, Ray wrote

> The main issue here is maintaining sortability, so we have to choose
> the delimiting characters carefully (which I haven't done yet).

How would I sort Summer in Europe?
We have, for example,  1st of May. 1st of June and 21th June all as starting
dates.. To maintain sort, I'd imagine, one must assign country names on the
basis of their starting dates for Summer?

Personally, I think we'd be better off not talking about Summer etc. but
seasons in the calendar year and their types: meterological, astronomical and
perhaps either a misc case or adjustment. This would define the start and end
points.
So instead of using names such as Summer (and the suggested coding is just
that) I'd simply label the seasons 21,22,23,24 BUT use them as the count in
the calendar year. 21 would not always be Spring but it would always be the
first season of the calendar year--- which coincides with Spring in the
Northern Hemisphere. In the South then 21 would be Fall.
The advantage would be that 2000-21-1 (for year 2000, 1st meterological
season) in Australia could be compared in a chronological sort with 2000-21-1
in Denmark.
The problem, of course, would be 24 as it crosses the boundary and a date such
as (in the North) Winter 2011 might be the same as Winter 2010---- similarly
Summer in the South. I see no solution other than perhaps the requirement that
last of a given year must the preceding season of the year (Autumn in the US)
or be corrected (year-1).

In North American
Spring 2010
Summer 2010
Autumn 2010
Winter 2011 -> Winter 2010/2011
Spring 2011

Not knowing the date of receipt of journals one can't fix these.. but just
accept that they might not always be accurate (can't distinguish a Winter 2010
publication between Winter 2009/2010 and Winter 2010/2011)

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
Office Leo (R&D):
  Leopoldstrasse 53-55, D-80802 Munich,
  Federal Republic of Germany