Help for DATETIME Archives

DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  November 2010

DATETIME November 2010

Re: Proposal to change unknown marker from 'u' to 'x'

Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:28:05 +0100

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:59:57 +0000, Simon Grant wrote
> On 24 November 2010 16:45, Jakob Voss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:
>
>  Ranges are quite well defined in the ISO specification.
>
> Could you please summarize the exact specification, so we all known what we
are talking about?

> My understanding was that the ISO spec represents an *interval*, NOT a
*range*. Is that not true? Please let's try to be clear about the different
concepts involved.

Both see:

http://xml.coverpages.org/ISO-FDIS-8601.pdf

We have time intervals (5.5) and Recurring time-intervals (5.6)

To ISO 8601 an "interval" is
3.17 period of time (time-interval) portion of time between two time points

This is the meaning of "date range" in common use by among others the Dublin core.

--

 Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
 Office Leo (R&D):