Help for DATETIME Archives

DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  November 2010

DATETIME November 2010

Re: Proposal to change unknown marker from 'u' to 'x'

Jakob Voss <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:54:29 +0100

Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:

> http://xml.coverpages.org/ISO-FDIS-8601.pdf
>
> We have time intervals (5.5) and Recurring time-intervals (5.6)

Thanks. At "4.1 Basic concepts" the specification says "three concepts
are fundamental:" to list four concepts afterwards. :-) I'll skipp
recurring time-intervals for simplicity. So there is (citing the
specification):

1. Time-point: instant in the laps of time regarded as dimensionless

Examples of simple time-points are dates.

2. Time-interval: a portion of time between two time-points.

A time-interval is one of
- a start and an end
- a duration not associated with any start or end
- a start and a duration
- a duration and an end

As I read the specification, a "start" or "end" is an instance of a
time-point. Time intervals and Time points can be compared by the method
"inside of".

We now extend this model by introducing:

3. Time-collection: a set of time-points and/or time-intervals.

4. Time-choice: One of
- a time-collection, that one unknown element is selected from
- a time-interval, that one unknown time-interval or time-point is
selected from

5. Approximate times: A time-point, time-interval, or time-collection
marked as approximate.

6. Questionable times: A time-point, time-interval, time-collection, or
approximate time marked as approximate.

Jakob

--
Jakob Vo▀ <[log in to unmask]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 G÷ttingen, Germany