ARSCLIST December 2010

Re: NY Record Dealers was Record Hunter

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:21:02 -0500

While you're rounding us up, I worked for Record & Tape Sales, dba Record
Center Stores, c. 1960. My boss was Bob Staub. I managed the shop that
occupied some of the space formerly used by Record Hunter, between 81st &
82d on Lex. I then became one of the two salesmen when Discophile opened, at
26 W. 8th St. The owner was Joe Greenspand and the other salesman was Paul
Rothschild, later at Electra, Doors, Joplin, etc. I then covered Manhattan
Island for Everest as the salesman for that line when it was part of Belloc
Industries. I knew most of the other guys who were selling the other lines
at the time. Worked for Charlie Schicke; top guy was Ted Wallerstein who I
barely knew. Then to Leeds Music, then on my own in April, 1962.
Meanwhile, I was writing for the American Record Guide, etc. Busy kid.

Steve Smolian

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Don Chichester
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 3:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] NY Record Dealers was Record Hunter

FWIW, I used to work for Radio City Music Store which had stores in Times
Square and Hempstead. i worked at the LI store in the early '50s. I don't
know who owned the chain.

Don Chichester

In a message dated 12/5/2010 2:36:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,