ARSCLIST  December 2010

ARSCLIST December 2010

Re: audio on Betacam sp tapes

George Brock-Nannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:15:19 +0100

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello all,

oh, dear, oh dear, what happened to simple curiosity? It does not cost any of
the responding archives anything to wait and see and to learn from Shai's
experience. I can well understand that computer tapes may not work on
machines for rotating heads, but the other way round? I would not expect
squeal, because the audio track on video cassetes is linear, close to the
edge. For this reason, bias adjustments for the audio track may be relevant
information.

I had expected some positive remarks and at the most some "bear-in-mind"s,
but this negativity? After all, the tape will wrap better than ordinary audio
tape.

Go to "The Complete Handbook of Magnetic Recording" by Finn Jorgensen to find
documentation of the various properties and also theoretical explanations. He
will not talk back. I only have the 3rd edition, but I believe there is at
least one more recent out there.

Kind regards,

George