ARSCLIST  December 2010

ARSCLIST December 2010

Re: if you want it done right, do it yourself .../ not always

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:25:41 -0500

My own experiences "in the field" absolutely back up Richard. I've had Ampex sticky-shed tape turn
up with manufacture and shipping dates from the mid and late 70's up thru the mid 80's. I've never
had a Quantegy-branded tape go sticky, I think the transition to the Quantegy brand was in the
mid-90's. I think Ampex changed the formulation in the early 90's, but I don't have any Ampex tape
from that era (just pre-Quantegy) to form a data point. Every Ampex 406, 407 and 456 tape I made in
the 1980's (thru 1988) went sticky. No Scotch 206 or 207 tape I've ever made or transferred was
sticky. Every Scotch 226 or 227 tape I've had in my studio was sticky. As I said, none of the
numerous Quantegy 406, 456 and 457 tapes I've made since the late 1990's (manufacture dates of 1998
onward) have gone sticky. I tend to doubt they will go sticky because my 1980's Ampex tapes were
sticky within a decade of manufacture under similar storage conditions. I also own numerous Maxell
reels, both UD35-90 (non-backcoated) and UDXL35-90 (backcoated). I had one reel of UD35-90 exhibit
sticky behavior once, this reel had been stored in damp conditions for years. I now am not sure that
was SSS I experienced, and I did not try to bake that tape. Back then, I told the owner it was shot
and sent him on his way. This was before I learned about baking. I've never seen another Maxell tape
behave that way, in fact I just recently played one that I made back in the early 1980's and it
still sounded great, was even surprised by the minimal print-through. The last SSS tapes I baked and
transferred for a client were Ampex 406 circa early 1980's. Baking for 12 hours and cooling for 12
hours worked just fine, four 10" reels stacked on shelves in the American Harvester.

-- Tom Fine