ARSCLIST  December 2010

ARSCLIST December 2010

Re: NY Record Dealers was Record Hunter

Punto <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Dec 2010 22:40:02 -0500

Ah, Don,

You may or may not remember , but you and I have gone down this road
before a few years back when I was reminiscing on this list about my
mis-spent youth, most specifically my discovery of Radio City Music
Store while I was a student at Hempstead HS in the mid-1960s and my
dealings with Swede (no other name that I ever was aware of) who kept
it's small confines well stocked with the good stuff.

Later, following my Long Island years, I moved westward to the Isle of
Manhattan. I did find time to mis-spend my post-youth at places like
Discophile (with Franz overseeing the operation), Bremen House (Franz,
again) and 8th Avenue Records (kind of a cutout and overstock dump
presided over by Fred Draisner, who always had a reel-to-reel playing
Met opera broadcast tapes, it seemed). Somewhat later, I did manage to
dig through huge piles (mounds, more like it) of 78s at some place over
on 4th Avenue that I don't recall having a name and scoring some pretty
incredible stuff for peanuts. Somewhat later still, I added Jay's Music
Hunter on 5th Ave to my haunts and Sam Goody was always good if you read
the Sunday paper to see what labels were on sale for the week. Now that
I am scouring my memory, I realize that I shouldn't omit mentioning
Patelson's Music Store's record department. It was pretty tiny, but was
almost all well selected imports. My interest was and is pretty strong
in the area of the instrument I play, French horn, and there always
seemed to be a resident horn player on staff at Patelson's that kept an
eye out for sheet music and records in that narrow niche.

Those were the days that I really had next to no money, but always
seemed to find a way to rationalize purchasing that disc that I knew I
would kill myself later for having passed up the opportunity to take it
home with me.

Gee, just think, now I could just stay home and Google what I want and
download it all and load it onto my personal digital listening device.
Think of all the time and effort I would have saved myself and all the
empty space I'd have in my apartment in place of of record shelving
(sarcasm completely intentional).

Just an old-ish fart with fond recollections,

Peter Hirsch