Help for DATETIME Archives

DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  December 2010

DATETIME December 2010

Re: unknown/questionable/uncertain/approximate

Mon, 6 Dec 2010 18:55:43 +0100

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:53:40 -0500, Ray Denenberg wrote
> Ed - Your argument for 196u in favor of [1060....1969]  certainly
> convinces me that I would rather use an analog than digital
> thermometer if I am seeking accuracy and repeatability. And that I

Digital display technology makes them nearly always more readable than
analog. This is the case for not just measure of temperature, weights
and lengths but also time.

Early mass market battery powered digital clocks from Asia were notoriously
inaccurate. While cheap mains powered clocks used the line frequency (50Hz or
60-Hz) these used little more than a simple RC-oscillator--- the first LED
watch, the Pulsar, used a 32.768 Khz crystal or 2^15 but cost $1500 USD
in 1970--- and a counter. LCD made it possible for cheap driver circuits so
there were even some cheap LCD stop-watches sold in the early 1980s that
even offered 1/10th second readability. If anyone here recalls them they were
extremely cheap (under $1 USD in Asia) but often lost (I seem to remember
them always running slow) as much as 5 min. day (despite xtal).

Compare now to the readability, repeatability and accuracy of a COSC certified
chronometer: it can have, at best, 1 second readability but repeatability of
better than +-5 seconds/day and accuracy better than +-10 seconds/day (which
in the extreme case adds up 1 hour/year  365*10 sec = 3650/60 min).

Many wristwatches don't have seconds hands and thus provide readability of
only 1 minute. Some of these have good higher frequency xtal controlled
(CMOS low power) movements and are are thus much more accurate than any COSC
certified chronometer: accuracy up to +-1 min/year (in other words accuracy
and precision within a year are in the same units).

In 1967 the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) adopted the
atomic definition of the second as the unit of time interval. The second
is defined as the duration of 9192631770 cycles of radiation corresponding
to the transition between two energy levels of the caesium-133 atom.

There used to be something called "Normed Railway Time" (Normalzeit). In
Germany the national railway operated a system of clocks built around Lavet
stepping motors (today the system is still in operation but is now driven by
DCF77 radio, e.g. national time reference). These clocks were readable to 1
second. They were accurate (against their own reference) and repeatable to
the speed to electricity to transfer the pulses which put it at under 1
second.

I've mentioned the Hebrew date/time system. Its  based upon an astronomical
model: the motion of the Sun. While the Babylonians had a concept of "seconds"
and sub-seconds (dividing things) the Babylonians measured (and reported time)
using a double-hour lasting 120 modern minutes, a time-degree lasting four
modern minutes, and a barleycorn lasting 3 1/3 modern seconds. One could
talk about 1/60th of a barleycorn but there was no means to measure it.

This brings us back to the origin of precise and accurate modern second
measurements. This can be credited to Huygens who first suggested the use
of a pendulum, viz. the linkage of time with the force of gravity (constant
at any given spot on the planet).

What we have now is gravity, decay of caesium-133 and the motion of the Sun
across the Meridan.. AND we have measurement of time given my people against
some reference clock near an event.. e.g. 1865-05-15T7:22 Washington DC time
for the death of Lincoln.

In Judaism there is even geospatial issues for some date/events. Purim, for
example, is celebrated in all places that were surrounded by walls at the
time of Yehoshua as in Shushan (Susa, Iran) on 14 Adar and elsewhere on the
15 Adar. Thus in Jerusalem Purim is 14 but elsewhere the 15th. To distinguish
the two one can speak of Purim De'Prazot and Purim De'Mukafot but generally
the indication of day, 14 or 15, is implicitly set by the location of either
the speaker or listener in Jerusalem.

I've been talking about measuring the current time. Going the other way..
We often measure the age of things in the lab using Radiocarbon dating.
The interesting thing about carbon dating is that its level of uncertainty
is relatively low and does not increase linearly in time.
The precision of a radiocarbon date is within a few hundred years.

Like the doctors noting what they assume to be the date/time of of Lincoln's
death we also have for Biblical events a chronology specified in the Torah.
The Torah gives us dates with much higher precision than Radiocarbon dating
and the Torah itself can be calculated as being "given" on Mount Sinai 3323
years ago.

We have another form of dating which I'll call empirical dating. Its relevant
to bibliographic recording. One does not know when, in fact, something was
published but makes a good "educated guess" with a scientific consensus. These
dates are not "questionable".. but they may change (in contrast to dates
determined by Biblical chronology) as new states of information and knowledge
emerge.

We will now agree that also for time systems we have differences in
readability, repeatability and accuracy and that higher readability does
not mean higher repeatability nor repeatability mean accuracy-- which itself
is really a measure against a reference (and includes its own model or
paradigm)--- etc.