ARSCLIST  January 2011

ARSCLIST January 2011

Re: Technics apparently really has discontinued their turntables

George Brock-Nannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:57:37 +0100

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hi,

turntables vs. historic machines:

I do use a portable wind-up HMV gramophone for demo purposes and to prove the
fabulous quality you can get from records made for them (excepting organ
records), due to the scientific approach by Maxfield and Harrison.

But I confess that for listening (and analytical listening) I am happy to use
the ELP Laser Turntable. I have a fair number of vinyl pressings of 78s, and
I rejoice every time that there is absolutely no wear. And most shellacs also
play well. I do not have to change stylus, I do not have to replace worn
stylii, and the clicks are easily tamed, because they are much cleaner than
what most, even moving coil pickups will provide. I can adjust the depth of
tracing during replay, and I can adjust the rpm. I can repeat a groove
endlessly, with just a delimiting click once per cycle. Ah, bliss!!

I had a stupid dealer in antique records send me a rare record, and he must
have been drunk while packing the record, because the pack was designed to
put uneven stress on the record. He instantly paid me back everything,
including shipping, but like Kodak, there was no replacement for content. I
can easily fit the shards on the ELP turntable, let it run and reproduce the
content for me, albeit with clicks that need more work to clean up. But my
old-time painstaking repair of records is now of the past.

However, we have not solved the problem with peeling lacquer records.

Best wishes,

George