ARSCLIST  January 2011

ARSCLIST January 2011

Re: Decca US / was Your taxpayer dollars being given to the Universal Music Group.

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:43:01 -0500

Some of those Roger Williams records were made at Fine Sound at 711 5th Ave. Dave Kapp's son,
Mickey, was involved in the label, I think he produced a bunch of pop and light-classics records in
the 50's and 60's. Mickey and Dave had a major success when they picked up Louis Armstrong's
recording of "Hello Dolly." I might be remembering the story wrong, but I think Armstrong
self-funded the single and his manager shopped it around and only Kapp would take it. Boom, it
explodes into a huge hit and saves Armstrong's career. Kapp signs Armstrong for an album and they
record the rest of the tracks quickly at Bell Sound and the album was also quite successful. For
some reason, around the same time, Mercury released a single of Armstrong doing other songs from the
Broadway show. My guess is that these were other songs from that self-funded session, but I'm not
sure about that. The Kapp single of "Hello Dolly" was the runaway hit.

Later on, after the Apollo 11 success, Mickey Kapp produced a very good 6-LP and book album for
Time-Life called "To The Moon." The records were really nice, Kapp got access to all of NASA's audio
and some news coverage and the production was great. Plus a great hardcover book full of Life
photos. I wore out the album Kapp gave to my father, but eBay yielded a mint-condition copy for me
to enjoy anew as an adult. I have collected many 60's space program albums, but "To The Moon"
remains my favorite.

-- Tom Fine