ARSCLIST  January 2011

ARSCLIST January 2011

Re: Technics apparently really has discontinued their turntables

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:55:00 -0500

The rumble specs for these turntables are fine, especially for lesser-fidelity records. Just use a
rumble filter, any of the many-curve preamps designed for 78's have them. If you have an old preamp,
integrated amp or receiver, it probably has a rumble filter already.

The cheaper SL-Dxx line had speed switch issues, too, mainly the cheap slider switch getting dirty.
Simple cleaner spray always solved the problem for me. The pitch-adjust pot could also get grimey
after years in a dusty environment, again fixable with cleaner spray.

Now that I've had time to digest this news, I'm really sad about it. Those Technics turntables were
affordable tanks, reliable like a Honda Accord. Now we're left with cheap Chinese junk on the one
hand and exotic, pricey and fragile audiophilia gear on the other. The lower-priced audiophillic
gear is, in my opinion, inferior in build quality, speed consistency and arm design to the Technics
1200's. In fact, there was recently a minor row in one of the audiophile mags about a
many-thousands-priced turntable that the reviewer admitted didn't run on pitch (ie wasn't really
going 33 1/3 RPM), but still gave it a good review. That's just inexcusable, in my opinion.

Every time Matsushita abandons a consumer electronics category, it's bad for consumers. They made
excellent, affordable, mainstream sound gear under the Technics brand and my 15-year-old Panasonic
VHS machine still works perfectly, after thousands and thousands of hours usage. I picked up a
Panasonic TV from a neighbor after it had allegedly "died," took it to a Panasonic authorized repair
place in Connecticut and it turned out it needed a $75 power supply board, and has worked perfectly
since. That's a 32" CRT with excellent picture quality and really nice built-in sound quality, built
pretty solid and weighs over 100lbs, works like new for $75.

-- Tom Fine