ARSCLIST  January 2011

ARSCLIST January 2011

Re: Suggestions Toward Nomenclature of Digital Media Files

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:55:45 -0500

Hi, David,

I would think that the note that you have should have the "permalink"
(as some repository software calls it) attached to it.

For example:

\\Nas03\Media-Community\Trinity\Service_Archive_for_Trinity\2011\2011-01-16_Stephen_Interfaith\STE-001.wav
\\Nas03\Media-Community\Trinity\Sermons-Web_Support\sermons\mp3\sermon_20110116.mp3
http://www.trinityaurora.ca/sermons/mp3/sermon_20110116.mp3
http://www.trinityaurora.net/sermons/mp3/sermon_20110116.mp3

In the above, you can see the sermon is extracted to another hierarchy
and we only save the MP3s. The original WAVs are held 1-2 years and then
deleted. The WAVs contain the entire service, the MP3s just the sermon.
You can also see that the sermon is online in two locations. To confuse
matters, our church webmaster serves the sermons from .net even if you
go on to .ca, although the file is stored at .ca as a backup. NAS03
refers to a Network Attached Storage unit at my house.

\\Nas03\Media-Community\York Region Enrichment Band Jackson-s
Point\2010\WAVs\07 With Each Sunset.wav
\\Nas03\Media-Community\York Region Enrichment Band Jackson-s
Point\2010\MP3s\07 With Each Sunset.mp3

As to the keying of file names, I sometimes create different versions
like these, above.

So, I think these (or at least the path) needs to be in the working note
to be certain.

Now, I also have a wide variety of "ingest" files. For example, both the
Sound Devices 722 and the Zoom H2 have a more-or-less fixed file naming
scheme (less so with the SD 722, as one might expect). I leave these
original files in their native file names. A SD722 file might look like:
T10.WAV and a Zoom H2 file is actually above: STE-001.wav (STE=stereo as
there is a 4-channel mode as well).

Samplitude insists on appending "_24" to all 24 bit files it records (as
opposed to generates) and "_M24" to all MONO 24 bit files it records, so
I leave those appendages in.

Here is an example of an album I digitized--looking at the file size can
often help:
From_Fresh_Water_01_24.wav           1508 MB
From_Fresh_Water_44-1_24.wav          693 MB

Notice on the second one, the 44-1_24 meaning that it is a 44,100
sample-per-second, 24-bit file. The first one is 96,000 samples-per-second.

I had one client who wanted "_m" appended to all his files meaning that
it was a "master" and in his world, that meant 96/24. I complied.

The huge heap of files that Audacity makes (it seems each file only
lasts a minute) is one of the reasons I cannot generally recommend it.
This is far too cumbersome for most production work. Samplitude lets me
work directly in WAV files and almost everything I do is done in a
virtual mode where the original WAV file is not modified--many
applications work (or can work) that way. Samplitude can also work in a
"destructive editing" mode and I did my first project that way and then
learned better.

To confuse the file naming even more, Samplitude makes two "sidecar"
files for each WAV file--much smaller--but if they are lost, they will
be re-generated. One of them contains the graphic information for the
waveform so you aren't looking at the audio file until you zoom in past
a certain level. Makes for really fast loading.

I do not know of any formal scheme, but I haven't searched for one as it
is my clients who impose a scheme on much of what I do, and for my own
work, it has grown.

In Windows, you can right-click a file, select properties, and it will
tell you the bit rate and sample depth on the summary tab, so that is a
quick check. I do not know how to do that on a Mac, but I suspect you can.

I'm still not certain that I have answered your question. One thing to
do is see if the Producers Wing of the Grammy Foundation has come up
with a strict naming convention.

Cheers,

Richard