DATETIME February 2011

Re: season and hemisphere

Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:31:27 -0500

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 4:57 AM, Edward C. Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:23:23 -0500, Ray Denenberg wrote
>> Representation of season was recently brought up again. In this case the
> question is whether hemisphere needs to be represented, see below.
>>
>> My understanding is that the use case presented to us is satisfied, by
> using 21, 22, 23, 24 in place of month, to represent season.   While not a
> complete solution it seems to meet the concrete needs that were presented,
> even if it leaves unsolved some issues regarding sorting, when a season
> starts, etc.
>>
>>  There were other, less specific "potential" use cases presented, which
> could be satisfied by appending a qualifier to the season.
>> So
>>     '2001-21' means "Spring, 2001"
>> and
>>      '2001-21q<xxx>' "Spring, 2001 qualified"  where <xxx> is the
> qualifier.
>> The qualifier could be a geographic location, but unless someone takes the
> initiative to try to develop this qualifier, it's specification won't be
> included in the spec.
>>

> Should geographic location be needed I think the easiest is
> - lat./Lon. (point)
> - N,E,W,S in Lat./Lon. (bounding box)
> - ITU "country" designator (politcal).
>
> There are, I think, some problems using ISO 3166 alpha-2 or alpha-3 with
> seasons that I suspect are not present in the ITU model.. Adélie Land, for
> example. is claimed by France but its location is in the Antartic.. ITU sets
> the code ADL..
>
> P.S.: I do not need any of this but present this suggestion as a solution
> should location be desired.

To me, seasons are important, but indicating hemisphere is a level of
complexity I don't need. So I don't care if this isn't in the spec.

That said, I would just point out that such a thing would not need
anything so specific as location or country: it would only need
something that says "north" or "south."

Bruce