EDUCAT February 2011

Re: Great discussion

"Bloss, Marjorie" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:48:10 -0600

I think this follows on points made by both Diane and Nerissa regarding putting the whole package together for a rounded education -- whether it is the doing/practical or the theoretical/conceptual.  This calls for us to look at the courses we teach as a whole to determine how they fit together and provide a pathway for students interested in technical services in the broad sense.  To that end, we should be examining:

1.  How does the beginning cataloging course dovetail with a second level cataloging course?
2.  Do we offer seminars in cataloging that focus on broader concepts of cataloging and problematic areas?
3.  How and where are we incorporating encoding schema in an analytical sense (e.g. is MARC sustainable in the future?  Why/why not?).
4. If MARC isn't the answer, what is taking its place and how do we position our students for that?  Does the GSLIS program itself offer courses in, say, XML?  Do we partner with other departments in our institutions?
5.  How do other information communities use library metadata and if they don't what can we do to make it more accessible?
6.  How do we position ourselves so we are active participants in the world information community at large?  How do we spin our message about the value of what we do in terms of emphasizing its importance?

True, we need to start in the classroom but we also need to look beyond that.

Cordially,

Marjorie

Marjorie E. Bloss, Lecturer
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
Dominican University
7900 West Division Street
River Forest, IL  60305
708-524-6468 (voice)
708-524-6657 (fax)
"A great teacher is a tough guy who cares deeply about something that is hard to understand."  Norman Maclean