Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  February 2011

EDUCAT February 2011

Re: Discussion of cataloguing education and RDA

Allyson Carlyle <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:25:24 +0000

Nerissa makes a good point (obviously, I'm reading my email from last in first out).  I wish we could offer this course every year, but unfortunately we can't.

One of our constraints is that we are on the quarter system. We are truly at a loss to figure out how to introduce two cataloging standards, LCSH, DDC, & LCC all in 10 weeks - in beginning or advanced cataloging. Already some students complain that the workload is too much for these courses, and we do not know how to lighten that load enough to add enough of another standard to give everyone a reasonable sense of what that standard is like.

It is my strong belief that you need to teach people how to *think* about cataloging, not how to catalog. You can do that using any set of rules. UW students may feel less than prepared without the kind of intro to RDA that they probably need, but I have confidence that if they take both beginning and advanced cataloging (and if they apply themselves when doing so) they will be good catalogers/good administrators because once they learn the new standard, they will know how to apply it.

This quarter's enthusiastic, fabulous (the best I've taught so far, as a group) advanced cataloging students are totally out in RDA land already, reading, thinking, pointing out differences, problems - they are, I confess, way ahead of me. I'm so proud of them, and if we are turning out catalogers half this motivated and thoughtful, we are in good shape in the future.

Other than to teach them how to think about cataloging, what should I do? My answer is to keep them as excited about cataloging as I possibly can, fostering their high level of interest, encouraging them to think and explore.

Ultimately, I care much more about these two things than I do about teaching them a code of rules.
Allyson

Allyson Carlyle
Associate Professor
Information School