EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  February 2011

EDUCAT February 2011

Re: [RDA-L] general interest in RDA

"Diane I. Hillmann" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:02:39 -0500

  Suzanne:

The data portion of RDA isn't that complicated or complex.  It IS based
on different underlying assumptions and is expressed in different
encodings than MARC, but I would suggest to you that those are things
that librarians ought to be more familiar with in any case, because they
underlie the web itself.

If you haven't yet, I'd suggest that you take a look at Karen Coyle's
two issues of Library Technology Reports (v. 46, no. 1-2/3,
Jan.-Feb./Mar. 2010).  Karen does an excellent job at explaining how
these newer standards relate to bibliographic information in general and
RDA in particular.

Diane