MODS February 2011

Re: What kind of entity does titleInfo/@valueURI refer to?

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 06:59:12 -0800

Quoting Simon Spero <[log in to unmask]>:

> I do believe that all theoretical models require that a work have a creator
> [I am persuaded by arguments that the coming in to existence of a work
> rigidly depends on the existence of it's creator, across modal contexts, but
> that's not strictly relevant here :-)].
>
> It is less clear that a work must have a title, or that uniform titles as
> currently constituted are the exact corresponding concept to what a work
> title would be.

The "BR" in FRBR is "Bibliographic Records" and BRs *always* have a
title, even if the cataloger has to make one up. FRBR doesn't describe
the theoretical world of works, and not even the bibliographic world
of works, but the current library cataloging world of works. That's a
narrow realm with a set of rules already in place (like supplying
titles where they do not exist). It's also very much biased toward
published works. I haven't seen any analyses of how FRBR applies to,
say, museum pieces, but I an imagine that it would not be an easy fit.

> It's also worth reading Barbara Tillett's full dissertation, which laid the
> groundwork for the IFLA report. I got permission to scan and pdf this a
> while ago; (hey Jenn, can I borrow the scribe for a bit).

It would be great if that "work" were more readily available.

kc