ARSCLIST  March 2011

ARSCLIST March 2011

Re: Thank You for responses to Unpublished Sound Recordings query

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Mar 2011 06:31:09 -0400

The way I've noticed that this works in the actual marketplace today is that people put stuff out,
either for download or sales as CD's. They have a website. If they get a lawyer letter, the material
comes down and I assume that in some cases, the people who hired the lawyer get paid some small
damages. There doesn't seem to be a pot of gold in any of this material -- it's a tiny niche market,
including for out-of-print commercial recordings dubbed off old LPs or duped reels. So it seems like
in most cases, the copyright owners don't feel it's worth hiring a lawyer and the online seller then
has a little cottage industry that probably won't make him rich but may provide some meals or new
sound gear or feed his collecting habit. I'm talking about little operations within the US, not the
operators who exploit liberal copyright laws in other countries. Some of those businesses are very
large and profitable, but the copyright owners don't have a leg to stand on in their countries of
operation.

-- Tom Fine