DATETIME March 2011

Open interval

"Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:28:42 -0400

 From: On Behalf Of Edward C. Zimmermann
> By most estimates the date at which man will first land on Mars is no
> earlier than 2030. To express this we'd use the notation "2030..".

"2030.." is not defined.  (That is, if we reject the proposal to use
double-dot for "open" and adopt your suggestion, to use "2030/" instead,
which I endorse.)

[2030..] is defined, as well as {2030..}, meaning "one of the years 2030,
2031, 2032, ..."   or "all of the years 2030, 2031, 2032, ..."

Here we have, as you would say Ed, "year precision".  So you could use
[2030..] to mean "the event will occur one of the years beginning with the
year 2030. And I maintain that "the date at which man will first land on
Mars" is a date, not an interval, that is to say you are representing an
event.

But "2030.." by itself has no meaning. (I realize we do not yet have a
formal BNF, and that's a fair point. Still, I think it is clear, though not
explicit, from the spec, that the list syntax is valid only within
brackets.)

An interval is a start and end, not an event.  And the use case (as I
understand it) is to express the permission as a start and end, thus an
interval.

We have already had this discussion, about the difference between a set of
continuous dates and an interval, although not in the context of an open end
point but I don't think that makes any difference.

--Ray