DATETIME March 2011

Re: date with time zone indicator

"Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:45:04 -0400

 From: Edward C. Zimmermann
> Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:40 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [DATETIME] date with time zone indicator
>
> The more I think about it the more I think there is a business case for
> time zone without time given the observation that the expressed hour
> difference between two points on the earth at a given instant can be as
> much as 23 hours.
> How do we compare a story that on 30 June 1946 two atomic bombs were
> detonated on Bikini Atol at 21:35 and 22:00 hours GMT on the 20th. Time
> is UTC/GMT +12 hours.
> A report published on Kili Island or in recollections of the Bikini
> people would put 31 June as the date.

I remain skeptical.

If an event occurs on date D1 in time zone Z1 and is reported by a source as
occuring on date D2 in time zone Z2, your argument is, or seems to imply,
that one can infer the actual date D1. But that's not true because only
knowing the date and time zone, not knowing the time, you can't determine if
D1 is the same or a day earlier (or later) than D2. If the date and time is
supplied, then one could calculate D1, but not if only the date is supplied.

--Ray