DATETIME April 2011

time zone vs. zone offset

"Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Apr 2011 14:52:40 -0400

 From: Saašha Metsärantala
> Subject: Re: [DATETIME] internal uncertain/approximate LAST CALL

> the specification uses the term
> "time zone" (as the W3C XML Schema 1.0 does), in circumstances where
> the W3C XML Schema 1.1 would (as I interpret it) probably use the term
> "(time) zone offset"

I have no problem with changing "time zone" to "time zone offset" or "zone offset" (which of these two would you prefer?)

> I would like to
> avoid this mixture of both versions of the W3C XML Schema in our
> specification.

Honestly I don't see that as important. I prefer a more pragmatic approach, as for example in the above case: "zone offset" is clearly superior to "time zone" and it likely will be used in 1.1 as you point out. In less certain cases we should be less inclined to adopt the (still draft) 1.1 approach.

--Ray