Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  April 2011

EDUCAT April 2011

Re: like having 20 people in revision at the same time

"Bloss, Marjorie" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:10:55 -0500

I also have another one:  As Erin points out, we live in a hybrid world and will continue to do so.  There are millions of records in OCLC that have been created using AACR2.  These records will need to co-exist with RDA records (as well as records from other information communities).  It is important that we are comfortable with a variety of cataloging codes, know what they are and how to interpret the data in them.  As an old (figuratively and literally) serials cataloger, I had to be comfortable with both latest and successive entry cataloging when AACR came out -- know what I was looking at and how to interpret the information.

The same sort of question (and response) can also be posed regarding the MARC format.  Encoding schema based on SGML/XML are also becoming more important and visible but it will be years -- if ever -- before they replace MARC.  We are already seeing many job ads asking that candidates are comfortable with both MARC and XML schema.

Erin also points out some abstract lessons that are important to learn as well.  We live in a world that keeps changing and it is essential for librarians to be flexible and open-minded.  An MLS does not signify the end of the learning experience.  If anything, it's just the beginning.

Marjorie

Marjorie E. Bloss, Lecturer
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
Dominican University
7900 West Division Street
River Forest, IL  60305
708-524-6468 (voice)
708-524-6657 (fax)
"A great teacher is a tough guy who cares deeply about something that is hard to understand."  Norman Maclean