Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  April 2011

EDUCAT April 2011

Re: like having 20 people in revision at the same time

"Diane I. Hillmann" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:56:16 -0400

  Erin:

I think you've put your finger on it, but I want to try and add yet
another wrinkle.

What's truly missing from library educational offerings around
cataloging is some sense of what it means to understand data creation in
a more general way and how that data is structured, packaged, and shared
in a world where MARC is on its way out.  I've been having a
conversation with a librarian who has been sending semi-hysterical
messages to a list, wanting help understanding how content standards and
'structure' standards and encoding standards fit together (she's trying
to make decisions for a project implementation).  She's totally
confused, and what she's reading isn't helping much, because what she's
really looking for is a pizza recipe approach to get around her lack of
understanding, and there isn't one.

To a great extent, the question of whether to teach AACR2 or RDA is one
of those 'Titanic deck chair rearrangement' questions. Far more critical
is how we prepare students to cope with the changes we see happening in
the world they will be entering (much less what we don't know about
yet), knowing as we do that most of their supervisors are unlikely to be
able to teach them any of it.

Diane