Help for DATETIME Archives

DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  May 2011

DATETIME May 2011

Re: New approach about question marks - a suggestion

Saašha Metsärantala <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 May 2011 23:08:18 +0200

TEXT/PLAIN

Hello!

Thanks for the comment! Comments are very appreciated!

> the expressions

> 2011-05-09?

> 2011-05-(09)?

> 2011-(05-09)?

> are, I suggest, saying more or less the same thing.
I do not agree. If a date is associated with some object, but we are not
really sure about which connection this date has to the object, then the
whole date (not only some part of it) is uncertain in which case we could
use:

2011-05-09?

If, on the other hand, we are (almost) sure that this date applies, but
the interpretation of the handwriting of the day of the month is unsure,
then it is useful to be able to write something like

2011-05-(09)?

or according to the syntax of my new suggestion

2011-05-(09?)

in the metadata. I think it is important to remember that the EDTF is to
be useful to create metadata also for objects that are not born-digital,
such as handwritten documents and other analog-born objects.

> all this complexity
If you want to make your comment even more valuable, we would really
welcome a clarification about WHAT is particularly complex in the
following two rules:

- A question mark without a right parenthesis immediately on its right
side is applicable to everything on its left side within the expression.

- A question mark with a right parenthesis immediately on its right side
is applicable to everything within the parentheses.

These two rules describe the central concept in my suggestion to a new
syntactic approach to solve the "approximation" problem. The rest of my
e-mail was just examples using these two rules and a way to show the
analogy with written languages.

I consider that the aim of creating EDTF is not only to solve the most
common situations in which dates need to be stored. There are already many
such solutions out there. Being able to handle more than the most common
situations is something that I do not consider a drawback. On the
contrary, it makes EDTF useful for more people, and thus, make it easier
for us to coordinate our efforts to document our cultural heritage.

In this e-mail, I answered to a few comments. In my next e-mail, I plan to
send comments about my re-reading of the EDTF specification and BNF.

Regards!

SaaĊĦha,