LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 16.0

Help for EDUCAT Archives


EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives


EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  June 2011

EDUCAT June 2011

Subject:

ALA Annual - Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) Agenda and Activities

From:

Daniel Joudrey <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:14:34 -0400

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (92 lines)

All,

Apologies for cross-posting...


The Subject Analysis Committee (ALCTS Cataloging and Classification  
Section) will be very active at ALA Annual in New Orleans. I hope you  
can join us for some of our meetings and activities.


AGENDA OVERVIEW: SAC will be meeting three times during the conference.

On Sunday, June 26, 2011 from 8 am – 11 am  in the Hilton (HIL-Grand  
Salon C), we will have reports from the Sears List of Subject  
Headings, LC's Policy and Standards Division (PSD), the Dewey Decimal  
Classification (DDC), the Music Library Association (MLA), American  
Association of Law Libraries (AALL), and the Art Libraries Society  
(ALS).

On Monday, June 27, 2011 from 10:30 am – 12:00 pm (HIL-Grand Salon C),  
SAC and the Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)  
will hold a joint meeting to discuss the place of subject in the FRBR  
family of standards and how the JSC will begin to address the need for  
subject entities and relationships in RDA. (See more details below.)

On Monday, June 27, 2011 from 1:30 pm – 5:30 pm (HIL-Grand Salon C),  
SAC will have reports from MARBI, the SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form  
Implementation, OLAC/CAPC Moving Image LC Genre/Form Heading Best  
Practices Task Force, OCLC's FAST project, IFLA, and SACO. In  
addition, we'll have a presentation by Joan Mitchell on the newly  
published DDC 23. (See more details below.)

Once again, SAC will be holding "green" meetings, in other words, we  
will not provide copies of the handouts and reports to distribute at  
the SAC business meetings. Most of the reports will be in ALA Connect  
before the conference (some will be posted after). The URL for the SAC  
ALA Connect space is http://connect.ala.org/node/64185. It is  
available to committee members and visitors alike.


HIGHLIGHTS:

1) Monday Speaker Series: We are pleased to announce that Joan  
Mitchell, Editor-in-Chief of the Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC)  
system at OCLC, will provide us with an introduction to the newly  
published 23rd edition of the DDC! Learn about some of the changes  
that have occurred in the new edition, including:
	• Major changes across DDC 23
	• Selected major updates and selected new numbers
	• The role of the worldwide community of Dewey users
	• How to learn more about DDC 23


2) Genre/Form Preconference: The SAC-sponsored genre/form  
preconference, "What is it, anyway?", will take place on Friday, June  
24, 2011 from 8:30 am to 4pm at the Convention Center, Room 263. This  
preconference will introduce participants to Library of Congress Genre/ 
Form Terms for Library and Archival Materials (LCGFT). It will focus  
on the correct application of LC genre/form terms to works, with an  
emphasis on the differences between genre/form terms and subject  
headings. Participants will also be briefed on the principles  
underlying the genre/form projects being undertaken by LC’s Policy and  
Standards Division, and plans for further development of the  
thesaurus. Speakers: Janis Young, Yael Mandelstam, and Beth Iseminger.  
There's still a little room left, so register today!


3) Joint Meeting with CC:DA: SAC will have a special, joint-meeting  
with CC:DA (Monday from 10:30 am to noon in the Hilton Grand Salon C)  
to discuss the place of subject in the FRBR family of standards and  
how the JSC will begin to address the need for subject entities and  
relationships in RDA. There will be a presentation by Gordon Dunsire,  
co-sponsored by ALA, Cataloging & Classification Quarterly, and  
MARCIVE, Inc., to address "Treatment of subject in each model,  
reconciliation in the Registry, and considerations for future  
consolidation of the FR models." There will also be a discussion of  
the "LC Discussion paper on Group 3 entity chapters in RDA".


If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Thanks,
Danny

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daniel N. Joudrey, PhD
Assistant Professor
GSLIS, Simmons College
300 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115
617-521-2863
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

Advanced Options


Options

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Search Archives

Search Archives


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

February 2020
January 2020
December 2019
November 2019
October 2019
September 2019
August 2019
July 2019
June 2019
May 2019
April 2019
March 2019
February 2019
January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
March 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
June 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
December 2007
November 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
April 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager