DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  July 2011

DATETIME July 2011

Re: interval precision // Volatile vocab.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:59:20 +0200

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:55:46 -0400, Ray Denenberg wrote
> > We don't meed a wider syntax.. only to be more explicit and demanding
> > in our standard's text :-)
>
> Ok, Ed, you write that section and send it to me and I'll put it in.

OK.. more of the same?

> --Ray

Ray onced asked about my volatile date vocabulary...
http://www.ibu.de/DateFormats
(this is from my online IB documentation)

Relative dates controlled vocabulary
-------------------------------------

Today -- the LOCAL date (of the server) without time (day precision).
Yester[day|week|month|year] -- the past X (X precision) from the point of
view of the local date/time where X is one of day, week, month or year (e.g.
Yesterday is the day before today in day precision)

Tomorrow -- the day after today (day precision)

"This day" := Today
"This Month" -- the current month (LOCAL) in month precision
"This year" -- the current year (LOCAL) in year precision.

 Now or Present -- the date/time at the moment the word is parsed.
[Last|Past] [NNN] Sec[onds]|Min[utes]|H[ours]|Day[s]|Week[s]|Month[s]|Year[s]
|Decade[s]|Millennium [Ago|Past]
Last|Past Sun[day]|Mon[day]|Tue[sday]|Wed[nesday]|Thu[rsday]|Fri[day]|Sat
[urday]
Examples: "14 hours ago", "6 days past", "Last year", "Past month", "200
minutes ago", "Last Monday"

Note: "Yesterday" is date precision while "Past Day" is date/time precision.
The two also might refer to two different days due to the time difference
between local time (from the perspective of the server) and UTC/GMT: "Past
Day" is based upon the date/time as per UTC/GMT while Today, Yesterday and
Tomorrow are based upon "local" time.

 Note also that "14 days ago" defines a date as well as method of comparison
based upon day precision---thus something different from 335 hours ago or 2
weeks ago. Last year, resp. month etc., each define a precision of year,
resp. month etc.
The prefix "End of" is interpreted as the end of the period.

The sequel in date ranges:
 NNNNs (as in "1950s")
 NNNN century (as in "19th century", "19 Jh." etc)
 Past|Last [NNN]
Seconds|Minutes|Hours|Days|Weeks|Months|Years|Decades|Millennium
Last|Past Sun[day]|Mon[day]|Tue[sday]|Wed[nesday]|Thu[rsday]|Fri[day]|Sat
[urday]

 Examples: "Past 14 days", "Past 24 hours", "Past month", "Since last Friday"
 NOTE: The prefix words "Within", "during" and "the" are skipped,
e.g. "Within the past day" is reduced to "Past day".
"Since" means from then until now. "Since last week" means from the start of
last week to now. "Last week", by contrast, means only the days of last week
(Sunday through Sat.).
 (These) Date ranges, in contrast to dates, are precise to time but start at
the beginning and end at the end of their respective unit, e.g. last month
starts at midnight of the first and ends just as midnight strikes on the
last day of the month (in Oct. its the 31th day).

----------------

Notes:

1) What I called ranges is what we call intervals
2) The time precision of these named date intervals derives from the
semantics of "past" (versus "last"). At the time it made the most sense to
me but I think I could argue this moment against it..
3) Should one not want white space one could use "-", e.g. "last-week". From
the perspective of parsers I think one could also compound things
as "lastweek" but "14daysago" is maybe a bit too compact...

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
http://www.nonmonotonic.net