Help for DATETIME Archives

DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  July 2011

DATETIME July 2011

Re: interval precision // Volatile vocab.

Saašha Metsärantala <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:24:31 +0200

TEXT/PLAIN

Hello!

Many interesting ideas have been written on this list! That is good!

> > If there are use cases, I would really like to include such precision
> Use cases, I think, are a plenty. I think I have over the course of this list presented quite a few....
OK! There are use cases! Fine! Let now try to formulate something useful
and (preferably) not too ambiguous! Some good attempts have be achieved!
Thanks for that! Here are some comments about them.

> Yester[day|week|month|year]
This grammar does not seem to be the one we have used in our BNF. To
prevent misunderstandings, I would suggest to clarify which grammar is
used in these productions. Is anything within square brackets required or
optional?

> NNNN century (as in "19th century", "19 Jh." etc)
I would welcome a clarification about the semantics of "Jh."!

> [Last|Past] [NNN] Sec[onds]|Min[utes]|H[ours]|Day[s]|Week[s]|Month[s]|Year[s]|Decade[s]|Millennium [Ago|Past]
Is it OK with constructs such as

Past 0 Millennium Past

or

Last 1 Hours ago

and the questions such constructs would rise? Or do I misunderstand the
grammar? Days, Decades (etc.) may be written as whole words in both
singular or plural, whereas Hours, Minutes and Seconds may not, or maybe
not? What applies here?

> "Yesterday" is date precision while "Past Day" is date/time precision.
This could be useful, maybe. But such a contruct is something I would call
"error prone" because many people would probably misunderstand these
subtleties, especially if we keep in mind the following quote from this
list:

> given the lack of widespread "precision consciousness" at this time.
That is VERY important, I think!

I consider it could be useful to include the concept of precision in EDTF.
My opinion that this would require a specific syntactic construct is
stronger than ever. My aim is not to "over-complicate" EDTF. Instead, I
consider that there is a need to help EDTF users to avoid to use (and
misunderstand) constructs implying semantics they are not aware of.

Such a precision specific syntactic construct would also be useful to fine
tune a higher granularity. Issues written on this list contain the
following ones:

> The problem is with 10s left of the decimal point.

> the generalized "x" syntax.

A precision specific syntactic construct would make it easier to achieve a
higher granularity and, for example, to write a date with a "3 days
precision" - even when two different months are involved - such as

1996-05-01 \G3D

(using the syntax I suggested earlier). But that is only one example ...

Regards!

SaaĊĦha,