DATETIME July 2011

Re: URIs

Ray Denenberg <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Jul 2011 15:37:08 -0400

Well, I don't believe prefix assignments can be prescribed in this spec.  A dateTime string is not going to be limited to an XML context. It has to be expressible as a simple string without structure and without reliance on qualifying attributes.

I don't necessarily envision that dateTime expressions will be carried predominantly as XML attributes, though there is no reason why they shouldn't. And in those case where they are, how often will those expressions contain URIs?

Assuming that the XML attribute case is the only problem case, I think it is reasonable to prescribe that URIs be enclosed in quotes, and for the "problem" case, you could either (a) escape or percent encode the quotes, or (b) use the prefix approach that you describe, which will work in this case because it is XML so there is no problem adding an additional attribute.

--Ray