Re: 45 groove size

Roger Kulp <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:47:13 -0700

As the 60s progressed the number of minutes you could get on a 45 increased."Like A Rolling Stone",and the nearly eight minute "We're Not Going To Take It" spring to mind.I'm not sure if you could put that much music on one side of a 45 in 1950,the latter being longer than a lot of 50s EP sides.

Roger

Just had to manually change the address on this.It was going to go just to Bob.

________________________________
From: Bob Olhsson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 45 groove size

As far as I know 45s always used a microgroove cutting stylus. On singles
under 3 minutes we cut a 5.5 mil groove although 4 was considered normal.
LPs were, of course, packed tighter. Playback styli would be the same as for
LPs with the smaller ones being better for stereo because they rode lower in
the groove.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.562.4346 http://www.bobolhsson.com http://audiomastery.com